A person can establish guardianship of a child or an adult by filling papers in a court of law.
You begin the process by filing a petition stating your interest in obtaining guardianship. You must also file a letter of consent, in the case of a child from their parents.

What is a protected person: A protected person is someone who has been determined by the court to be either incompetent or incapacitated.

A protected person to whom a guardian has been appointed has been determined to be unable to make decisions about various personal affairs of his/her own life without the assistance, supervision or protection of a guardian.

These decisions can involve many issues relating to the person’s health, safety, habilitation, care therapeutic needs, finances, and others areas of the protected person’s life.

If your thinking of becoming a guardian you should know that it’s a major responsibility and you need to consider it very carefully.

It’s always a good idea to consult a lawyer prior to making the decision.

To talk with a family law attorney from Saunders & Saunders, LLP, call the following:  508-999-0600: toll free, or contact me via email: [email protected]